Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Mindless tv show that has me hooked

I love tv.  I grew up watching tv.  A lot of my childhood memories are linked to movies and television.  I remember Summers where my best friend, Jamie, my sister, Missy and I roller skated around our garage to Xanadu or how we formed our Fraggle Rock Club "Down in Fraggle Rock!", how we danced and danced to the music of Grease and Grease 2.  Our Saturday mornings consisted of singing to School House Rock, having the "smurfiest of days" with the Smurfs and saving the world with the Hall of Justice.  Oh there were days and days that the tv was never turned on.  We played and played on our bikes, through the sprinklers, and roller skated in the sunset, played bored games until our eyes were cross-eyed, but television was still a big part of my childhood.  My husband says I have a gift when it comes to tv viewing: That no matter what day or time, if the tv is on, I am able to find something on to watch.  While sometimes I believe when he says that that he is poking fun at me, but I chalk it up to the training I received growing up.  Nowadays I have it on sometimes to keep me company and I do have my favorite shows that I love to watch, but the one show that has completely sucked me in is America's Got Talent.

I don't ever call in and vote, but I'm completely sucked in to some of the absurdity, some of the magic, some of the music and some of the stories of these real down to earth people.  I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's airing especially when Prince Poppycock and Jackie Evancho came out.  It's pure grandiose entertainment verses a heavenly voice.  Those two are my absolute favorites and out of the 10 acts they showed this evening, only 4 will get to move on to the finals. I will have to tape tomorrow evening's show when they announce those that will get to move on as I will be out tomorrow evening.  We don't have a DVR although I'm considering obtaining one, but we can still record with our trusty VCR player.  I'll be anxious to know who is voted through.

Now I'm not mentioning AGT to get you to watch it or anything, but to remind you that it's ok to indulge a bit, even when it comes to television.  It's ok to watch mindless tv once in awhile.  We need to give our brains a break and sometimes zone out and if you happen to be watching a "reality" based show, then so be it.  Everything in moderation, right?  It's good to turn the tv off and take a walk, or meet up with friends or attend a social function, but sometimes mindless tv is the solution for the day.

However, if you use You Tube or if you can see her clips from AGT on Hulu or NBC.com, I do recommend watching Jackie Evancho as she is just darling and fabulous all rolled up in one.  She has a 30 year old voice wrapped in a 10 year old body.  She's amazing! I'm rooting for her.

So, celebrate in mindless tv shows.  Relax and have fun!  Many memories can still be created even if you indulge in reality tv, cooking shows, comedy or drama series and yes....I'll say it...even sports, and it's ok to get sucked in a bit.  I don't believe TV has ever rotted my brain (ok, well, maybe a little LOL!).  Just don't sit too close to the television.  You'll ruin your eye-sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment